Re: [docbook] DB Website equivalents?

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 07:44:41PM -0500, maria jones wrote:
> On Friday 27 August 2004 02:59, Tobias Reif wrote:
> > Headings are titles, I'd use element "title".

> Ok - how about the following:
>
> <H1> Header 1</H1>
> <H2>Header 2</H2>
> ..content..
> <H2>Header 2</H2>
> ..content..
>
> the H1 and first H2 element, if converted to XML would look like two title
> elements directly together. Not valid.
>
> Does nested 'section' elements satisfy the validation problem here.

Yes, typically you think about a particular header level in HTML
constituting a certain depth. Everything after the header up to but
not including the next header of the same or higher level constitutes a
logical block.  This is simply not expressed in the structure of an HTML
document.  But it is in DocBook:

<section>
    <title>Header 1</title>

    <section>
        <title>Header 2</title>

        ...content...
    </section>
    <section>
        <title>Header 2</title>

        ...content...
    </section>
</section>

In DocBook, the logical relationships are made explicit.

I believe you had also asked about the HTML <PRE/> element.  The DocBook
<literallayout/> element represents an arbitrary block of text with
similar formatting characteristics.  There are also two (off the top of
my head) semantically richer elements: <programlisting/> and <screen/>.
The first represents a chunk of code, and the second represents output
onto a screen (both of which you would want to have similar display
characteristics as that of <literallayout/>, although still potentially
different).

Take care,

    John L. Clark