Re: serial port reading!

Bart Veer wrote:
" " == asif <" <asif@inbox.net>> writes:
     > Iam trying to send data to serial port thru minicom (on
     > LINUX).Ultimately i my ecos read utility should read this.If i
     > use only one port for this how can i exactly do this as i have
     > one port on my target which is being occupied by GDB.
[snip]
There is no mainstream support for having a separate application on
the host receiving data via the serial line, or sending data to the
target. The serial port is owned by gdb on the host-side, and by gdb
stubs on the target side. If your application needs to use the serial
line then gdb will have to use some other communication mechanism,
e.g. ethernet.

Having said that, there is one host-side program which may be a step
towards achieving what you are after: ser_filter.

Actually there is now another option if you're prepared to rebuild GDB: the work on GDB file I/O over the remote protocol has now been committed to GDB and is in GDB 6.0. This allows the target to use redboot (if CYGPKG_REDBOOT_FILEIO is enabled) to access the host file system. It does this using the GDB stubs in RedBoot to talk to GDB over the GDB channel, and GDB in turn does the actual file I/O on behalf of the target.

Depending on what you intend to achieve, the target's ability to write a file on the host may do what you want.

Jifl
Visit us at Embedded World 2004, Nürnberg, Germany, 17-19 Feb, Stand 12-449