Re: WLAN on eCos (HW/SW design)

First of all I'll answer your questions:

> What is it that made you choose eCos?

*)I have had previous experience of working on Linux
so this semester I wanted to try a different OS;
diversity!.
*)Also I read eCos documentation and I was severely
impressed by its configurable nature, I became
interested in designing boards that eCos could be
ported on, with lesser effort.
*)wanted to work on OS porting!.
*)I want to write an IP stack for eCos; impressed by
LWIP(www.sics.se/~adam/lwip). Its just that I want to
try different stuff on eCos.

> If eCos was chosen by your professor, what is it
> that made you choose the PCM-5860?

*)I had a choice of OS'es so I chose eCos. I bought
this board an year ago for some embedded course
project; I didn't even know what eCos is at that
point; was a junior then.

Theres are some nice products:
*)WiPort by Lantronix.
*)DPACs Airborne, http://www.dpactech.com/30B23101.asp

that I could use but my point is not just to get the
thing running!; to learn how to make my own!

Since at this point nobody came up with a 802.11
solution for eCos(to my knowledge and research), so I
have an opportunity to come up with something new.

As I see the problem, I think a ethernet(802.3) to
802.11b bridge is required(since/till eCos does not
have a WLAN package available to it) -> a daughter
board with a MCU that runs on its own ip stack, say
uClinux with linux-WLAN; sure its a lot of work but I
have two semesters time, till I graduate!

Also, PCM-5850 does not have onboard USB; ofcourse
something external could be used.

Thanks for your time and help,
Weqaar Janjua