Re: RedBoot's TFTP client and dumb TFTP servers

Hi,

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Sergei Gavrikov wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Gary Thomas wrote:

> > On 01/10/2011 07:13 AM, Sergei Gavrikov wrote:
<...>
> > > I tried to get working the QEMU's embedded TFTP server with
> > > RedBoot's FTP client and the RedBoot's 'load' command always wept,
> > > -- "illegal TFTP operation".
<...>
> > I've never run across another TFTP server that can't handle OCTET in
> > upper case.

Indeed, I've checked out 'netkit-tftp', 'atftp', and 'tftp-hpa' sources.
All TFTP servers use either strcasecmp() or tolower() then strcmp() on
checking the mode field. But all companion (TFP clients) send the mode
field in *lower* case.

> > By your reference, the QEMU server is what's broken - why not fix it
> > instead?
>
> Gary, thanks for your expertise, then I will disturb qemu-devel list.

FYI: they applied my patch, but it is unlikely that everyone loves build
QEMU from sources :-) IMO, we could get the RedBoot's TFTP client be more
compliant/tolerant, but can be the RedBoot on QEMU is rarely the case.

Sergei