Re: eCos GNU tools 4.6.2-20120125 ready for testing

Hi John

John Dallaway wrote:

> Hi Sergei
>
> Sergei Gavrikov wrote:
>
> > I tried to build and run "thumb" tests for NXP ARM7TDMI (LPC2294) using
> > corresponding RedBoot/GDB
> >
> >   ecos-v3_0-branchpoint GCC 4.3.2  most of tests failed
> >   ecos AnonCVS          GCC 4.3.2  most of tests failed
> >   ecos AnonCVS          GCC 4.6.2  most of tests failed
> >   ecos AnonCVS          GCC 4.6.3  most of tests failed
> >
> > Thus, it looks like that GCC 4.6.2 is not point of those fails.
> >
> > BTW, I never tried ro run "thumb" blobs before on my target and maybe
> > I should turn on/off more CDL options than just to force CYGHWR_THUMB
> > option.
>
> Enabling CYGHWR_THUMB should be sufficient. Be sure to "make clean" when
> switching to Thumb. Also, check that the -mthumb and -mthumb-interwork
> flags are definitely present during the building of your eCos tests.

Thank you for this information. Thus, I confirm that I had got the right
thumb binaries for testing.

> > So, I agree with the said "Thumb support looks broken" at the least
> > for lpc2xxx, lpc24xx variants, but, it seems to me it was broken
> > even before eCos 3.0.
>
> I have just verified that the kernel tm_basic test builds for target
> eb40a (ARM7) with RAM startup and CYGHWR_THUMB. The resulting binary
> runs under debug (via RedBoot) without problem. This is using the new
> eCos 4.6.2-20120125 test release toolchain.

What is about GCC optimization in your test? So far, I found that I can
run only not optimized thumb executables in GDB under RedBoot, and -O1,
and -O2 builds are failed as I reported above. Though, I guess that you
use default -O2 optimization for your test.

> There could be a Thumb-related issue within a certain variant/platform
> HAL or device driver package.

It seems to me you are right, I will try to investigate. Thank you for
feedback.

Sergei