How to emulate workqueue mechanism in eCos?

Hi folks,

I am still working on updating JFFS2 with the write buffer support to eCos.
Currently I am struggeling with workqueues. I tried to circumvent those by
directly triggering the wbuf_flush() operation, but with all those
semaphores I get deadlocks all the time. So to be cleaner I'd like to
replicate the workqueue mechanism in eCos.

How can this be achieved? My idea is to use a whole thread for that. It may
be an overkill on ressources but I think I can make it work. How would you
implement synchronization, function calls?

The workqueue thread ask if new scheduled work exists, if not -> sleep for
some time, after that do this process again

Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated!