Re: [ECOS] Re: CPU Ports for eCos

At 03:09 PM 4/28/99 +0100, you wrote:

>Probably true, if there are no problems with copyright assignments
>etc. For example the gcc port to the MC68HC11 could not be merged
>because of assignment problems. Anybody interested in doing this
>should contact the egcs maintainers, http://egcs.cygnus.com, to find
>out what would be involved. A Cygnus port of eCos to this architecture
>is not currently under consideration, so it is unlikely that we will
>do this work any time soon.

I don't know about that port, but in this case they were distributing
a derivative of GCC. Whatever their backend was, it was then
infected by the GPL (I guess that's the only reason why you
could order the source code for $200 or something like that).

Somebody seems to be maintaining the old compiler, I saw
it for FTP somewhere, and I actually fetched it.

BTW, their new compiler doesn't even optimize for DSP (or
at least, you can't enable it, because it generates bad code),
so if someone says gcc would not be good enough, don't believe it.
They pumped up the major version number one notch, but it's really
0.x stuff. To make things worse, we were developing using some
prerelease chips (great to have that, nothing else would cut it).
When the time came, overlaying would not work.
People here spent a lot of time looking at the software, and in the end
it was a silicon bug: the external memory interface would not work.
You should definitely not use two broken things at the same time.

Fernando D. Mato Mira
Real-Time SW Engineering & Networking
Advanced Systems Engineering Division
CSEM - Centre Suisse d'Electronique et de Microtechnique
Jaquet-Droz 1                                                                    Email:   matomira AT acm DOT org
CH-2007 Neuchatel                                                            Phone:    +41 (32) 720-5157
Switzerland                                                                       FAX:        +41 (32) 720-5720

http://www.csem.ch/         http://www.vrai.com/          http://ligwww.epfl.ch/matomira.html