Re: Java Question

    Trevor> I'm a newbie to eCos and other GNU tools, and am trying to
    Trevor> get gcj up and running on eCos. I got eCos working alright
    Trevor> with it's gcc compiler. I also got gcj compiling OK in
    Trevor> cygwin-b20.1. I thought that all I would have to do is
    Trevor> either 1 of 2 things: Replace CYGWIN_95-4
    Trevor> (i686-cygwin32)(The version of Cygwin that comes with
    Trevor> eCos) with Cygwin-b20.1. Or, try to get the cygwin-b20.1
    Trevor> version of gcc-2.95 running in CYGWIN_95-4
    Trevor> (i686-cygwin32)(The version of Cygwin that comes with
    Trevor> eCos). Well, as it turns out, neither of the two options
    Trevor> have worked out so far. I'm guessing that it is because of
    Trevor> eCos's compiler dependencies? Has anybody tried gcj with
    Trevor> eCos?

There are two issues here which should not be confused.

1) getting gcj running as a cross-compiler under cygwin, irrespective
   of the final target. Looking at the FAQ at
   http://sourceware.cygnus.com/java/FAQ.html, I see the following
   statement:

   "Will gcj and libgcj work on my machine?
      So far gcj and libgcj have only really been tried on Sparc
      Solaris and x86 Linux. They might work on other systems, but we
      don't know."

   Given sufficient effort it should be possible to get gcj built
   under cygwin. The best place to discuss these issues would be
   the java-discuss mailing list, accessible from
   http://sourceware.cygnus/com/java
   I can see some postings about building under Windows in the
   archives.

   The eCos compiler dependencies should have no effect when it comes
   to building a toolchain under different versions of cygwin. Those
   dependencies mean that you need recent versions of gcc to build
   eCos itself, as opposed to the compiler used to build the gcc that
   is used to build eCos. It should be noted that building the eCos
   toolchain is only expected to work on Unix systems and on NT,
   not on W95 or W98 - irrespective of the version of cygwin - see
   the eCos installation instructions for details.

2) once you have gcj built under cygwin, you can now compile Java
   source code to the target processor. However this is only part of
   the problem, since the compiled code will have some dependencies on
   the Java runtime and possibly on various Java libraries as well.
   Cygnus has not yet ported the Java runtime or any Java libraries to
   eCos, it involves a non-trivial amount of work. I am not aware of
   anybody else doing so either.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer