Using gdb with SDS monitor

Not having any success getting powerpc-eabi-gdb talking to mpc8bug, I
decided to hunt the Mot site for some test code I could load onto my
FADS to see if maybe there was something wrong with the board or CPU. I
found the SDS monitor and flashed that into place. Disconnected the ADI
and hooked up a serial cable, ran a term emulator, and I actually saw
readable messages coming back. So I know the board works ok.

I'd noticed in reading the gdb docs that gdb can talk to sdsmon, so I
tried to set it up with

set remotebaud 38400
target sds /dev/com1

gdb says "remote debugging with /dev/com1" and then hangs
unresponsively. This is on NT4.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Kenneth Porter
Kensington Laboratories, Inc.