Re: ecosconfig build-problem under HPUX: virtual memory exhausted

    Hans> When I tried to build to ecosconfig under HPUX, the builds
    Hans> dies when compiling libcdl/expr.cxx with the message
    Hans> "virtual memory exhausted". Details below

    Hans> Compiler is c++ 2.95.2. By monitoring top's output, I can
    Hans> see, that the compiler uses more that 60 Mb.

    Hans> How do I get rid of the problem? Any hints welcome.

libcdl is template-intensive, and g++ can need a lot of memory when
compiling such code: 60MB+ is definitely possible. The gcc developers
have addressed some memory usage issues in more recent snapshots, but
new ones tend to crop up as well from time to time so I do not
recommend that route. The best bet is to try to compile without
optimization, i.e. remove the -O2. There is very little code in libcdl
or the other host-side tools that is performance-critical.

Also, please note that AFAIK the host-side code has not yet been
tested under HP-UX. None of the technical support contracts to date
have specified this as a host platform.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer