What hardware do I need to test the i386 system?

I am running an AMD SC400 processor on a eval board
that doesn't have a BIOS or an OS that is supporting
the serial port. I can write a bootloader program that
sets up things like the serial port, but I need to
know what all the test programs need and what type of
polling or interrupt routine I need to write to get
the data into the RAM. Are we talking a straight byte
to byte transfer or is there some kind of compress
algorithm being used in the transfer?

If it matters at all, I will be booting off of a PC
Card that is acting like a ROM device. I am willing to
help the development process for a bootable ROM once I
get something to show the upper management folk.

That reminds me, I haven't seen anything in terms of a
X Windows or other GUI. Is there one for eCos, or are
you just porting over the XFree86 (or other smaller
GUI) for people who need it?

Thanks,
Jerry