                                         Subject:     Re: [ECOS] ecos 131 without gcc
                    05/17/00
                    03:50 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    bartv

    Rene> I'm trying to build ecos 131 for CL7111 but I don't want to
    Rene> use gcc. ( Yes I know ecos is designed for gcc and uses
    Rene> specific features, but I have a working version 1.2.9)

    Rene> I want to use another compiler, but where can I set the name
    Rene> for this? I noticed that in the configuration tool I can
    Rene> specify the prefix, but -gcc is appended. Is there a way to
    Rene> prevent this?

No. The eCos source code assumes throughout that gcc and the GNU tools
will be used to build eCos. That applies to the various host tools as
well to the target-side code.

One approach would be to patch the generated makefiles and change the
definition of CC. That is not going to work too well in a GUI
environment though.

Another approach might be to set up a shell alias, shell script,
symbolic link, or even copy or rename the compiler executable, so that
when make tries to run arm-elf-gcc it finds the alternative compiler
instead.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer