'enable' in 'ecos.db'

Hi!

Which is the best way for maintaining HAL sources for very similar
platforms? By 'very similar' I meant that only a few lines of HAL code
should be changed from one platform to another. The obvious solution is to
have a HAL package for each platform, but it is very hard to keep and update
i.e. five (or more) almost the same source trees. Is there some more
'elegant' solution in eCos? I would like to have only one source tree with a
few #ifdef statements in sources and a simple mechanism for *automatic*
choosing appropriate switches by selecting particular target. I noticed
keyword 'enable' (in 'ecos.db' file) that could probably help me in my
endeavors, but it is not documented.

Thanks,
Jura