Re: Threads that end

jens.ohlund@secrc.abb.se wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I wonder what happens when a thread leaves the method it was given to run when created.
> Does it just "run away" or does it "die" (suspend) or what ?

[snip]
> Does the thread leaves the method, frees up resources and turns to a suspend mode ?

It doesn't free up resources, but it does suspend.

> If it does, does that mean I have to delete it afterwards to make it disaper in the scheduler ?

Indeed so, use cyg_thread_delete() for that. See

http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos/docs-latest/ref/ecos-ref.9.html#pgfId=1088577
[ although Robert take note: the HTML fonts in this bit are all wrong ]

In summary, cyg_thread_kill() sends a kill message to a thread, causing it
to wake up and return an error message from whatever it's locked in the
kernel doing. cyg_thread_delete() deregisters the thread from the
scheduler, freeing up the thread resources (although not any resources
allocated by the thread itself, if you see what I mean).

Jifl