Re: next release time

    Dave> Any ideas when another net release is planned? Just
    Dave> wondering I'd like to see things like non-blocking I/O in a
    Dave> net release as opposed to having to mess with CVS and
    Dave> explain to others how to get the latest stuff down..

There is no specific schedule for the next net release at this time.

For our past net releases we have gone through a full QA cycle on all
supported targets. This takes a long time, especially as the number of
targets continues to increase. Also it requires test farm resources
which may be needed for making releases to paying customers. Hence we
only want to make full releases when there have been really major
changes to the system, e.g. the switch to the CDL-based configuration
technology for the 1.3 release.

There are alternative approaches, e.g. developer snapshots, or only
doing QA on "key" targets (which is what the gcc folks do for their
major releases). For now anonymous CVS seems to be sufficient for most
people, but this may change in future.

Of course there is nothing to stop other people from generating
developer snapshots based on an anoncvs checkout, and writing the
appropriate scripts. eCos is open source, so you are allowed to
redistribute it yourself. If such developer snapshots proved to be
popular with the community then we could start using the same scripts
on sourceware.cygnus.com

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer