"too many input files" error from cpp

I've read the FAQ and the archives of this list. The standard answer
seems to be "you've moved the tools from where you built them. Either
put symlinks to the build directories or build them again". Well, I
haven't moved them from the build directory and I still get this. I am
bullding on Mandrake 7.1, which I believe is basically Redhat 6.2. I've
rebuilt the tools several times on two machine and I still get this
error. I also tried the latest snapshot (8/28 I think it was), and that
didn't even run (it wanted cpp0, which was nowhere to be found).

I have also built the tools on FreeBSD. It works on one machine, but
another on gets the  same error (go figure, same version of FreeBSD).

Does anyone have a real solution, or can someone recommend a workable
snapshot?

Thanks,
Greg Shubin