Re: How to get symbols for vectors.S?

    <snip>

    Grant> It seems to be the line number info that's missing. The
    Grant> message from gdb when I step into vectors.S is something
    Grant> like "stopped at address 0x164 in a file compiled without
    Grant> debug". I've never had any problems with line info for the
    Grant> C and C++ files, just the assembly-language files.

    Grant> Someday when I have some spare time...

There was a previous discussion on this topic on ecos-discuss, May
17th to May 19th, you might want to check the archives. My
understanding is that the GNU assembler currently cannot automatically
add debugging information such as line numbers. This is due in part to
the very strange things which you can do in assembler but which are
impossible in a higher-level language such as C or C++. It is possible
to hand-write debug directives, but some of the details may be
architecture-specific. The folks on the binutils mailing list
(http://sources.redhat.com/binutils) can probably provide lots more
information.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer