can not get EDB7212 to warm reset in RAM build

I am trying to make my RAM based system perform a warm
reset upon a application specific condition.  I trap my
condition OK, but when I jump to reset_vector (also
tried reset_platform, warm_reset, start).

I have set the cpsr register FIQ, IRQ and supervisor
mode bits (0x13).

After I branch to reset_vector in vectors.S, I was
getting stuck at start where init_flag is tested.

Since init_flag was changed the first time through, I
get stuck, so I commented out the test.

This lets me get further, but not back to cyg_start.  I get stuck in the following stack frame:

startup_stack_base
cyg_hal_invoke_constructors
cyg_HardwareThread
static_initialization_and_destruction
14Cyg_IdleThreadPFU_vUiUiUi
10Cyg_ThreadUiFPUi_vUiPcUiUi

1) Is there an easier way to do this?
2) I am guessing the code commenting a start is not
safe, so how can I get it to warm reset and uncomment
that code back in.

thank you,

Dan Ash
SonicBox