Re: gcc Build problem

> I believe thumb-elf is correct for the particular snapshot of gcc that
> is recommended on the eCos installation packages, the 2000-03-13
> snapshot that was used for testing. Looking at the gcc web pages at
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ I see the following announcement:
>
>   May 1, 2000
>
>     Richard Earnshaw of ARM Ltd, and Nick Clifton of Cygnus, a Red Hat
>     company, have contributed a new backend for the Arm and Thumb
>     processors.
>
>     The new backend combines code generation for the Arm, the Thumb
>     and the StrongArm into one compiler, with the target processor and
>     instruction sets being selectable via command line switches.
>
> So I suspect that for gcc snapshots after May 1st you would want to
> use arm-thumb-elf instead, and the resulting compiler would be capable
> of compiling for both modes. However AFAIK we have not tested eCos
> against such snapshots so you may run into problems.

I must've missed this! The last I heard two seperate compilers were
necessary. arm-elf-gcc and thumb-elf-gcc I followed the docs at
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/tools/linux-arm-elf.html to build my
arm-elf-gcc compiler. I haven't got around to playing with any thumb mode
stuff yet though. Are there any docs on how to build the magic
armthumb-elf compiler? and the switches needed to build arm and thumb
modules? I'm using gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release). What's the
recommended snapshot for arm/thumb?

Thanks,
Shaun