Re: RedBoot: Restarting a program without reseting the ta

Gary> On 07-Nov-2000 Bart Veer wrote: However, once in GDB, sending
Gary> the string "$k#6b" (without quotes of course) will kill the GDB
Gary> session and should restart RedBoot.
>>  Out of interest, what is the definition of "restart" in this
>> context?  Ideally there would be some code in each platform HAL to
>> reset the various chips as much as possible and get back to a
>> coherent state.  Obviously this cannot be achieved 100% on all
>> platforms, but getting close would be useful.

Gary> That's exactly what's meant.  Each platform has the notion of
Gary> reset, defined by the HAL, which is supposed to mean "put the
Gary> system back into a state similar to power-on or pressing reset".
Gary> On some platforms we have hardware support for this and it works
Gary> very well.  On others, we default to just jumping into the start
Gary> of the ROM environment.

IMO this feature is not getting all the kudos and good PR it deserves :)

I often run all eCos tests on a board with this reset-on-detach
feature with something as simple as:

for f in `find install/tests -type f`;do echo $f `date`; \
    ARCH-elf-gdb -nw $f ; done 2>&1|tee run.log

and a .gdbinit in the current directory containing:

 set remotebaud 38400
 ta re /dev/ttyS2
 load
 rbreak cyg_test_exit
 rbreak cyg_assert_fail
 cont
 quit

Works remarkably well - and is much less hassle than playing with X10
reset controllers and what not. Of course, if there's a test failure
it all stops - but if there's a test failure, it needs fixing, so it's
all honky dory...

Jesper