Initialization routines take too long?

I've discovered that if my driver initialization routines take
too long, my system chokes and dies.  At first I though it was
specific changes to drivers that were causing the problem.  But
after extensive gnashing of teath and rending of cloathes it
seems to be the total elapsed time that causes problems, rather
than any specific chunk of code.

It seems that if my first 10ms timer tick occurs before system
initialization is complete, something gets corrupted and the
system crashes in various different ways.  I can make the
problem go away by either printing less diagnostic stuff
(that's where most of the time goes) in my init routines, or by
changing the 10ms tick to a larger value.

Any suggestions on eliminating the requirement than init be
completed in 10ms?

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com