Re: ARM EP7xxx ROM image - gcc -g omission requirement

AshCan@aol.com wrote:

> Cirrus Logic has an application note for building ecos
> based systems for the EP72xx family of processors.
>
> Page 12 of the app note lists requirements for building
> a ROM image for download.
>
> One of the items states "build your application without
> the debugger option -g."

I don't know why it says that. The documentation is not accurate in this
respect probably.

> I did build with and without -g and diff'd the two
> binary files generated by arm-elf-objcopy.
> Sure enough they are different even though the byte
> count is the same.
>
> Can someone explain why this requirement exists, why
> the .bin files are different, and what effect the
> difference has?

.bin files never contain debug info so I don't know why it explicitly says
to remove -g. It's almost certainly redundant, but.... why bother.

The .bin files will always be different. Try doing a "make clean ; make" of
the *same* configuration, and you will see that the .bin files are
different then as well. There are timestamps stored in the files.

Jifl