Re: More RedBoot questions

Hugo Tyson wrote:

> > I don't know why we don't support direct loading over the serial port
> > though - I'd have thought it would be pretty easy. No time I suppose. Gary?
>
> FAOD, "load images" here means "get a binary image from a file on some
> server, straight into RAM, usually in order to program it into flash"
>
> It doesn't mean "load an image to run using GDB in the usual manner"
> because of course that is supported by GDB stubs over either serial or
> net.

Sure. But there's a good chance that you've already got GDB sitting around,
so why not use it as the loader, rather than trying to find a terminal
emulator that reliably supports x/y-modem. Or for that matter, why not just
cat foo.bin > /dev/ttyS0 ;). If RedBoot had a checksum command, you could
verify it uploaded correctly.

Jifl
Un cheval, pas du glue. Pas du cheval, beaucoup du glue. || Opinions==mine