Re: AT91EB40 Support (repost)

James Dabbs wrote:

> We're interested in evaluating eCos for an embedded network application.  I
> am wondering how much work it will be to get eCos running on an Atmel
> AT91EB40 EVB with a scabbed-on LAN91C110 or LAN91C96.  We will be using
> UDP/IP over ethernet, but we need to be a DCHP client and be able to join IP
> multicast groups.
>
> 1. Is this supported "out-of-the-box"?

Not out-of-the-box. But I understand people have been working on ports
already. We haven't had any contributions though. Perhaps they could speak
up?

We (Red Hat) are developing a LAN91Cxx ethernet driver, and we hope to make
that available within the next couple of weeks or so.

We don't officially support IP multicast as yet though - or at least, the
functionality may be present in the OpenBSD stack, but I'm pretty sure
we've never tried it, so work may be required. Or it may "just work".

> 2. If not, is it close to anything already supported?

The AT91 is just an ARM7TDMI core. There doesn't seem to be anything
particularly wacky with the platform, so basing it on the pid or edb7xxx
ports should be fine. The PID may be a slightly closer match I suppose.

> 3. Is there a white-paper on BSP development/porting that can give me an
> idea of the task to get eCos running in this environment?

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/porting/index.html is the best
place to start right now.

Jifl