Re: Serial spy

>>>>> "Gary" == Gary Thomas <gthomas@cambridge.redhat.com> writes:

Gary> On 19-Feb-2001 Rafael Rodríguez Velilla wrote:
>> Has anyone got a program to spy the serial device transparently in
>> order to see the dialog of GDB and my target's stub. I just want to
>> see what's traveling along my serial conecction.

Gary> You can get this information from GDB itself.  (gdb) set
Gary> remotedebug 1

Unfortunately that doesn't always work. Any non-protocol data gets
binned by some GDBs - it's not consistent in this regard across
architectures.

Instead I suggest using the ser_filter for which sources are available
from the CVS repository in the host directory. You should be able to
rebuild it for Linux by invoking make in the host/tools/ecostest/unix
directory. For Windows I believe there are some MSVC build files
somewhere.

When you have ser_filter built you can do something like:

 $ ser_filter -m 9999 /dev/ttyS0 38400

And then connect to the target like this:

 (gdb) ta re localhost:9999

When you do, the ser_filter should dump all the traffic out on the
console.

Jesper