RE: RedBoot/GDB-stub questions

On 05-Mar-2001 Grant Edwards wrote:

> My support routines for RedBoot use a hardware timer for the
> us_delay() functionality.  Now I need to dedicate that timer
> for use by an eCos device driver.
>
> I assume that this will be a problem if I try to use the GDB
> stubs in RedBoot to debug an application that uses the driver in
> question?
>
> If I use GDB stubs in the application rather than RedBoot, will
> it need a us_delay() routine also?  (Same problem then.)

For non-standalone (i.e. "normal" applications), 'us_delay' is normally
defined to use the standard system timer.  Can't you do this as well?

> I believe I read somewhere that if you want to debug via TCP,
> you need separate IP address for RedBoot and for the
> application, but I can't find where I saw that, nor can I
> figure out where in the stack that GDB packets are passed to
> the GDB stubs via the virtual vector stuff.  (I'd prefer to
> dedicate a port to GDB rather than a whole different IP
> address, but that's something I'll worry about later.)

This whole area is pure magic, some of which is still rather fragile.
Trust me though, if you ever are to get this working, you will need
to have a separate IP address for GDB and for the eCos application.

The magic takes place in the ethernet driver code:
   io/eth/current/src/net/eth_drv.c