Re: Cygwin & i386-target

>From: Bart Veer <bartv@redhat.com>
>To: rosimildo@hotmail.com
>CC: ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com
>Subject: Re: [ECOS] Cygwin & i386-target
>Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:32:11 GMT
>
>The current situation is by no means perfect, but there is no solution
>that is going to satisfy everybody. Sure, many people would have
>preferred it if cygwin just worked entirely in binary mode, but that
>would have made it impossible to share files between a cygwin
>environment and typical Windows applications. That is important for at
>least some of the cygwin user base.
>
>If you have suggestions on how to improve cygwin, please use the
>appropriate cygwin mailing list. Also, please feel free to send bug
>reports to any operating system vendors who believe that two
>characters are needed to mark the end of a line in a text file.
>
>For the record, I believe that the current gcc CVS tree works much
>better in this regard, i.e. it will just ignore spurious carriage
>returns rather than throwing up errors like the above. This is not
>quite as simple as you might think, there are subtleties in the ISO C
>standard which must be observed by a conformant compiler. In due
>course, probably after the gcc 3.0 release, I would expect that to
>become available for cygwin users.

Bart, Thanks for your comments.

I understand that this is not a easy problem to fix. Otherwise,
the CygWin team would had fix it a long time ago. :-)
Sometimes I question if the proper priority has been done
to this problem. I consider it, the most important thing
that should be fixed, if possible. People has spent a
fair amount of time dealing with this silly thing.

In part this is a Windows stupidity of having two characters to
represent a new line. But, it is the way that it is, and we have
to leave with it.

I am happy to know that things will get better with GCC 3.0

Regards, Rosimildo.