Von: Jonathan Larmour [mailto:jlarmour@redhat.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 20. März 2001 16:39
An: Hansjörg Petriffer
Cc: 'ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com'
Betreff: Re: AW: [ECOS] Question about boot loading and so on

Hansjörg Petriffer wrote:

> Sorry for my stupidly question!
>
> >You load the gdb_module from a floppy. Then the eCos test exes that were
> >built with the default i386 configuration can be downloaded to the target
> >PC over a serial line.
>
> >Alternatively, you can create a new build directory, choose the default
> >configuration for i386 but then change the configuration option
> >"CYG_HAL_STARTUP" from RAM to FLOPPY. Then when you build the tests in
that
> >configuration, they _should_ be able to be written straight to floppy. A
> >few people have reported some difficulties with this admittedly.
>
> I'm sure that this is a fundamental question, but how I can wright
straight
> to floppy with win2k? Is this a form of start disk?
[snip]
> I take a look to this manuals but here is no description for the i386 and
> there is nothing written about the floppy (i read only ways with rom and
so
> on, and this is not working with a normal pc motherboard).

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/tutorials/i386pc/ecos-tutorial.d.
html#pgfId=2696433

> I have now compiled it for floppy and here I see that the files have a
size
> about 300k. Is it also possible to make smaller files, because in my
desired
> application, Ram and Rom have to be as smallest as possible.
> I had read into the docu that the smallest kernel have a size about 10 til
> 20k, isn't it? Is the file here so big about the presence of a lot of
> packages or have this something to do with the i386 pc target?

The size is very dependent on your target, your configuration, and what
kernel services you use. Also file sizes are irrelevant because they
contain debug information. The correct way to determine the size is to use
the "size" program for your target. e.g. to determine the size of a GDB
stub image built for a floppy:

The file size is:
-rwxrwxr-x    1 jlarmour jlarmour   122513 Feb 23 18:58 gdb_module.img

But in reality, if I run "i386-elf-size gdb_module.img" I get:

   text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
  17596	    670	  12196	  30462	   76fe	install/bin/gdb_module.img

So the ROM requirements for this are 17596+670, and the RAM requirements,
670+12196. However this is all subject to optimization by adjusting the
configuration (for example this stub by default includes unused serial
driver code!), and the GDB stub code itself is quite large.

Jifl