Re: License restrictions

> When it comes to Linux there are serious licensing problems. A typical
> existing Linux device driver will be licensed under the GPL. With eCos
> application code is linked directly to the kernel and hence to the
> device drivers, rather than being separated via a system call
> interface. Therefore all of the code in the system, including all of
> your application, needs to be under a license that is compatible with
> the GPL. Typically this means that you would have to release all of
> the application source code under an open source license. For most
> eCos developers that would be unacceptable.

This is probably a hard question to answer....

>From what i understand, You can develop code for Linux and not have to
distribute the sources because libc is not GPL, it uses some other
licence. The application does not directly call the GPL kernel.

Now with eCos something similar is true. My application code calls the
eCos KAPI. This is covered by the eCos licence. My application code
does not directly call into the device driver which could contain GPL
code.

So, in terms of the licencing conditions, whats the difference between
a Linux system call interface and the eCos function call interface?

        Andrew