Functions to consume CPU time in x86

Hi all,

I need to implement some functions to keep the CPU busy for some amounts
of time. I know that one way to do that is to build loops that do nothing
other than keep the CPU busy. I would like to have functions to consume
hundreds or thousands of nanoseconds of CPU time in x86 platform. Has
anyone done this before? If so, would you be up to provide me such
functions?

Thanks a lot,

Cristiano.

Cristiano Ligieri Pereira - http://www.ics.uci.edu/~cpereira