Re: UPnP and Ecos

> > polishing other parts of your product. Microsoft is working on a
> > "standalone" UPnP implementation. They keep promising and re-promising and
>
>Is this "coming eventually" like the Microsoft port of ActiveX to Linux?
>:-)

LOL. Let me put it like this: Every teleconference and in-person meeting of
our working group within UPnP, if a MS guy is present I poke him for it,
and I bitch and complain at every opportunity. I've also spoken a couple of
times to the actual guy at MS who would be responsible for it (whether that
means he'd be coding it personally or not, I don't know). It's always
"coming soon". Well, our UPnP-supporting product is "coming soon" too.

Recently someone announced on one of the UPnP lists that they have
developed a standalone UPnP implementation tested on WinME, so my thought
is that MS would be best to acquire that and rebadge it (I haven't
inspected the original poster's product, it may be that their definition of
"standalone" is nothing close to mine. My definition is "compiles and runs
on any system that has standard BSD socket calls").

>And would it be free/open source/royalty free?

I haven't seen any licensing for this part, I guess it would be covered
under the same license as the current beta SDK (a product I bet never goes
out of beta).

UPnP has lost a fair amount of momentum, and frankly most of the
interaction models and proposals are utopian nonsense. I won't say it will
never happen, but it is a certainty that today's average consumer doesn't
want even a tiny fraction of UPnP's complexity. And the money for appliance
sales is in average consumers, not gadget mavens.

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"... a man who is endowed with real qualities of leadership will be tempted
to refrain from taking part in political life; because [...] the situation
does not call for a man who has a capacity for constructive statesmanship
but rather for a man who is capable of bargaining for the favour of the
majority. Thus the situation will appeal to small minds and will attract
them accordingly."