Re: Redboot and edb7211

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" wrote:

> >binaries from anoncvs but when I reset the board it complains of a checksum
> >error. I see the redboot banner but after the checksum error nothing
>
> This is PROBABLY not the problem you're experiencing, but I have had
> trouble with my EDB7212s (I have two) wherein the NOR flash [i.e. the
> bootable flash memory] will spontaneously go bad. We have one that travels
> in the field inside a working demo, and every couple of weeks it comes back
> here with corrupt flash. So my first thought when getting a checksum error
> would be just to re-flash it.

Perhaps the message is the initial checksum error reported when no Flash
Image System has been created yet. If you do a "fis init" it may just go
away.

> >Also I'd like to build my own redboot images. I used the windows config tool
> >to configure for ebd7xxx board and selected the redboot package. I built it
> >for ROM and flashed it to my 7211 board. When I reset it nothing happens.
> >The LED status doesn't come on...nothing. Has anyone had any experience
> >building redboot for this board?
>
> I used the command-line tools, running under Linux, and had no problem with
> this. However note that I did find something odd with the edb7xxx
> templates: if you use the "net" template instead of using the default
> template and adding ethernet support, the result was unbootable as a ROM
> application. So I think you may have been bitten by a similar problem.
> Jonathan (I think) posted a specific list of commands for building redboot
> recently, that is the specific set of commands I used.

The best thing to do is follow the generic instructions for rebuilding
redboot in the on-line RedBoot user's guide at
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/

Unfortunately there is no edb7xxx-specific section yet (Hi Gary :)), but it
should just be a case of following the generic instructions, bearing in
mind that there are configuration import files at
hal/arm/edb7xxx/current/misc which should be used.

Jifl