Insight GUI start fails - REAL solution???

I browsed every FAQ I knew for this. This has been up many times, still
nobody gave clear answers other than "get the latest version". I have,
still same error:

Can't find a usable main.tcl in the following directories:

can't read "errMsg": no such variable
and so on.

The main.tcl is in the first dir mentioned in the message, also running gdb
without GUI is ok.

I downloaded insight-5.0.tar.bz2 and patched with insight-tcl.pat before
configuring and building (for target arm-elf).

My other tools:
Win98
CygWin 1.3.1
GCC and C++ 2.95.2

Thanks for any hints, this problem seems to be so common that many other
people will be happy getting the answer I'm sure.
	Harri