ebsa285 initial redboot installation problem

I am using the latest src from cvs and currently I have a gdb stubs ROM
loaded into flash that I built from scratch.  I was able to successfully
run the packages/hal/arm/ebsa285/current/tests/sdram0.cxx to verify
everything was working correctly.  I run redboot from RAM with gdb stubs
and detach and quit from gdb then fire up minicom and type the string
"$c#63" the only output I receive is "++", and nothing happens after this.
I verified that the settings are set for 38400 N81 no flow.  I am using
the RAM image from packages/hal/arm/ebsa285/current/images.  Any insight
on what the problem might be would be helpful.

I have also tried burning the supplied ROM image into flash directly, but
the only output I get from that is a single "+".

--
Mike