From: jlarmour@cambridge.redhat.com
[mailto:jlarmour@cambridge.redhat.com] On Behalf Of Jonathan Larmour
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 1:00 PM
To: Trenton D. Adams
Cc: 'eCos'
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Simple serial program

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:

> Ok, it works when I do a GDB connection to my RedBoot.  Once it's been

> loaded to the board using the load command in GDB, I user hypertrm to
> connect to COM1.  I then type "continue" to run the serial.exe.  It
> outputs to the COM port.  I have no idea how to make the program work
> on it's own now though.  So, referring to one of my previous
> questions.
>
> > Once a program is complete, it is customary to write it to flash
> > just like you do with RedBoot right?

Well, if the program is _complete_ yes. You don't need to do it for toy
apps just for testing, but if you want to do it as a learning
experience, then fair enough.

You could either write it into flash so as to replace redboot. But more
flexibly, write it into unused flash and use a redboot boot script to
automatically run it. This gives you the opportunity to change the
application later by aborting the boot script.

Jifl
--
Red Hat, Rustat House, Clifton Road, Cambridge, UK. Tel: +44 (1223)
271062 Maybe this world is another planet's Hell -Aldous Huxley ||