RE: connecting with gdb and redboot

On 21-Jun-2001 Rajeev murthy wrote:
> hi ,
>    i have ported redboot onto my proprietory board and trying to invoke arm-elf-gdb. i'm trying
> to check whether gdb sends a "$" by connecting the system to another system thru a serial port
> but nothing seems to come. the serial port and the minicoms are working fine on their own. i'm a
> bit confused as to what does the gdb do when i say
> gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0 OR
>   clicking Connect to target in the GUI

Try turning on remote GDB debugging:
  (gdb) set remotedebug 1
  (gdb) tar rem /dev/ttyS0

A couple of notes:
 * Make sure of your baud rate before trying the connect.  For example,
   (gdb) set remotebaud 38400
 * The syntax of setting the remote debug flag is a little different
   in the latest GDB snapshots, but it is similar so I'm sure you
   can decipher it.