RE: Good board for audio + USB

On 23-Jul-2001 Trenton D. Adams wrote:
>   > On 23-Jul-2001 Trenton D. Adams wrote:
>   > > I'm thinking of playing with some audio as well as USB connections
>   > with
>   > > windows.  I was wondering if anyone here might know a good cheap
>   > > development board for things like that.  It would be nice to have
>   > > hardware MP3 codec I possible.
>   > >
>   >
>   > I know nothing of cost, but here are some choices:
>   >
>   >   * Cirrus Logic EDB7212
>   >
>   >   * Any ARM/SA11x0 based platform:
>   >       Assabet (from Intel)
>   >       iPAQ    (from Compaq)
>
> Thanks Gary.
>
> Where can I get information on the iPAQ?  From what Compaq's website
> says, it's a handheld PC.  Isn't there a development board?

What more do you want?  Do you want to be able to solder wires onto it?
If that's the case, stay away from the iPAQ (and most other PDA consumer
devices).  If all you want to do is experiment with audio and USB, etc,
then it's quite complete and well packaged.

> Information on the SA11x0 boards is very hard to find on Intel's website
> as well.  At least a search came up with something.

Intel doesn't have a good plan here.  The Assabet is old and probably will
be replaced with something new sometime soon, but I don't have any solid
info about that.