Re: Driver for the SMC 91c96 eth chip in RedBoot?

Am Don, 26 Jul 2001 schrieben Sie:
> Stefan Eletzhofer escribió:
> >
> > Hello,
> > I'm using a Assabet/Neponset SA1110/SA1111 Dev board and use RedBoot to boot
> > Linux. Currently i use the CF ne2000 compatible Ethernet card, but i need to
> > use the SMC Ethernet chip on the Neponset expansion board.
> >
> > 1) ist there such a driver? How do i enable it?
>
> Yes, the generic SMC9196 driver is available but it can't be used
> in Assabet/Neponset. In this board, the chip is configured/wired
> in 8-bit mode but the driver in ECOS assumes the chip is in 16-bit
> mode. Of course, the chip can be programmed to 8-bit mode using
> its registers, but then all the I/O accesses must take this into
> account and be keep compatibility with the original 16-bit accesses.

I just looked at the Linux version of the driver which supports also 8 bit
i/o access. All they do is to exchange the inw/outw with 8 bit versions which
do 2 inb/outb calls.
I suppose that if i:
1) implement put_reg() and get_reg() in such a way that 2 8-bit i/o
accesses are done
2) write a wrapper func for HAL_READ_UINT16 and HAL_WRITE_UINT16
to do 8 bit accesses
3) hide above changes with some #ifdefs and macros
the driver could be made quickly working in 8-bit mode.

What do you think? Is this the right way to do it?