Re: What ethernet devices are supported for Compaq iPAQ?

Wong Yee Peng wrote:

> Hi,
>     I tried installing the redboot on the Compaq iPAQ H36xx device as stated
> on the redboot manual. However, I found out that redboot only recognise
> Socket Communications Low Power Ethernet compact flash nic.  Does that mean
> I am only restricted to using this brand/model of NIC for redboot to work as
> a thin client on iPAQ? How about other brands/models such as those stated
> at:
>     http://handhelds.org/z/wiki/IpaqHardwareCompatibility

You should be able to use ones based on the same chipset (NatSemi DP8390).
The PRETEC CompactLAN card is another example. This would seem to imply
that the Kingston CIO10T may also work at least, and possibly others, but
we simply haven't tried.

>     Can I use them too? Is there any proper documentation on how to add a
> new ethernet NIC driver to the redboot instead of using the one provided?

Not much - PCMCIA support is one area we haven't been too hot on, but 3G
Lab are working on something new and improved. Well, I haven't seen it yet
to know if it's improved (e.g. I hope it doesn't add any overhead), but
we'll see ;-).

> tried reading the manual or looking at the source codes at the CVS, I had
> much difficulties understanding them. Can anyone give me some pointers?

Copy an existing driver and modify it is the general rule.

Jifl