From: ecos-discuss-owner@sources.redhat.com
[mailto:ecos-discuss-owner@sources.redhat.com] On Behalf Of Jaiprakash
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2001 5:35 AM
To: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: [ECOS] Thread related queries

Hello,
I have the following queries regarding implementation of threading in
ecos:

1. Does ecos consider main() as a running thread or is it just an entry
point to the system.
2. What is Cyg_Idle_thread used for? its functionality is not clear.
3. I was trying to compare following piece of code on linux 6.2 and
ecos running on my board.

#include <pthread.h>
#include <signal.h>
#define NUM_THREADS     3

void *PrintThreadid(void *threadid)
{
  int i;
  for(;;){
      printf("\nthread %d\n",threadid);
      i = sleep(1);
      if(i) {
           printf("return value from sleep() %d", i);
      }
  }
}

int main()
{
    pthread_t threads[NUM_THREADS];
    int rc, t,i,j;
    int *thread_return;
    pthread_attr_t attr;

    rc =  pthread_attr_init(&attr);
    if(rc){
       printf("ERROR: return code from pthread_attr_init %d", rc);
    }
    printf("\n creating threads\n");
    for(t=0;t < NUM_THREADS;t++){
        rc = pthread_create(&threads[t], &attr, PrintThreadid, (void *)
t);
        if (rc){
             printf("ERROR; return code from pthread_create()%d ", rc);
        }
   }
    printf("\n running main thread\n");
    pthread_attr_destroy(&attr);
    for(t=0;t < NUM_THREADS;t++){
        rc = pthread_join(threads[t], (void *)&thread_return);
        if(rc){
           printf("ERROR: return code from pthread_join %d", rc);
        }
        printf("Completed join with thread %d thread_return = %d\n",t,
thread_return );
    }

    while(1) ;
}

On linux the control goes to main() once, later the threads keep
running continuously. But in ecos the main() seems to get more
timeslice (15 - 20 times more) than the three threads. My basic clock
tick is 0.5 secs and timeslicing is 2 ticks. can you give me some
inputs regarding the difference of behaviour eventhough i am using
pthread calls.
There is not much documentation regarding implementation of threading
in ecos.

Thanking you in advance.

Jaiprakash N