RE: Recommended Multithreading books (off topic)

Hi Trent,

> So, any recommended multithreading books out there that would help with
> my multithreaded applications under eCos?

The fundamental aspects of multithreaded application development are all
covered by good operating system books. After all, operating systems
(realtime or otherwise) are the mechanism that provide multithreading.

For excellent coverage of topics such as task management and interprocess
communication I'd recommend the following books:

Two of the all-time academic classics in the field are:

"Operating Systems Design and Implementation"  Andrew S. Tanenbaum,
Prentice-Hall 1987. This introduces the Minix operating system, which is a
small unix for PC machines.

"Operating System Design - The Xinu Approach" Douglas Comer, Prentice-Hall
1984. Introduces the Xinu operating system.

These really are essential reading for anyone in this game.  They're
lucidly written and cover a wide range of topics.  Source code for both
systems is included.

Another extremely useful book is "uC/OS The Real-Time Kernel", Jean J.
Labrosse R&D Publications 1982. This is a book written by a practitioner
for practitioners. It's a simple, easy to understand coverage of RTOS
concepts, and includes the source for a full-featured RTOS that you can
target to X86 machines.  I ported this RTOS to our 68302 based processor
boards as a learning exercise, and found it to be a very instructive
exercise.  Because this is specifically about RTOS (vs general purpose
OS's) and very accessible I'd probably recommend it the most.  You can
learn most of what you need to know about programming embedded systems from
this book.

For a more general purpose book I'd recommend "Real-Time Systems Design and
Analysis - An Engineers handbook" by Phillip A. LaPlante, IEEE Computer
Society Press 1992.

Most of these books are fairly old, but they should still be available and
are still relevant.  Fundamental concepts don't change.

I'd also be interested in emails from anybody else who has any
recommendations in this area.

Hope This Helps

Geoff

Geoff Patch