Re: Using the TCP/IP stack from the anonymous CVS server

Richard Wicks wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 September 2001 02:33 pm, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> > Richard Wicks wrote:
> > >
> > > GDB cannot be used when the TCP/IP is included?  Is this a bug across all
> > > platforms or simply the XScale?  Working without debug capability will
> > > slow down development, are there any known workarounds?
> >
> > That's not quite right. The restriction is that you cannot include stubs in
> > your application when debugging over the network: that's because when you
> > do that, the stubs will "claim" the debug channel, which will close your
> > TCP connection.
> > Jifl
>
> OK - disable the stubs on the application or redboot?  Can you tell me how to
> do it with ecosconfig?

The application. They should be default disabled anyway.

> In either case, right now I'm not even using the ethernet to debug with, only
> the serial channel.  Still, redboot IS compiled to support debugging over the
> network although I'm not using it.  I've been having some trouble recompiling
> redboot without ethernet support.  Here is what I'm doing.
>
>  ecosconfig new iq80310 redboot
>  ecosconfig import redboot_ROM.cfg (included at end of this mail)
>  ecosconfig remove CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310
>  ecosconfig tree
>  make
>
> The resulting rom causes the board (as well as the entire PC that it's
> plugged into) to lockup.  If I do not remove CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310 the
> resulting image works fine.

And if you build an application without this package (or the TCP/IP stack)
do breakpoints now work?

Can you try the old redboot, but _enabling_ stubs in your application i.e.
CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS

Even if there was some sort of incompatibility between your hardware and
the eth driver, I wouldn't expect it to affect breakpoints.

Jifl