Re: Long ethernet connection time for Redboot on EDB7209C

On Thu, 2001-09-20 at 03:10, Strader Alan wrote:
> I would like to thank everyone in the discussion group for their e-mails.  I
> was quickly able to get my EDB7209-2C.0 (EDB7XXX) development board up and
> running with Redboot.  I am able to connect using Ethernet or serial.
>
> My question is why does it usually take 23 seconds to connect via Ethernet
> (remote/TCP).  There are a few times when it connects immediately.  I can
> connect through the remote/serial immediately every time.  It looks like the
> GDB stubs are include in my Redboot build according to the eCos Hal section
> in the Configuration Tool.  Are the stubs disabling the interrupt from the
> Ethernet controller and only are polling the serial port?  With an
> oscilloscope I can see that the controller is trying to interrupt the
> processor.  After the 23 seconds the processor begins communicating to the
> controller by toggling the chip select.  After the Ethernet connection is
> made, I am able to download and run a program okay.  Does anyone have any
> ideas or similar experiences?
>
> By the way I have the development board connected to my PC with a crossover
> cable and I have manually set the PC's IP, subnet, and gateway address.

This sounds more like a host issue to me.  I actually saw this the other
day when I tried to connect to a "new" board.  My host system insisted
on trying to look up some addresses associated with the connection and
I had to wait for the DNS timeouts (about the 20+ seconds you are
talking about).

I'd say to make sure that the board (network) name is well known to your
host and see if it helps.