RE: Re: booting from ROM

Note: this is the last time I'm going to respond without your email
being quoted on the list.  Queries sent directly to eCos engineers
that are not also copied to the ecos-discuss list will be ignored.

On Wed, 2001-10-17 at 20:59, Warren Jasper wrote:
> Gary,
>
> Yes I did change CYG_HAL_STARTUP == ROM in ecos.ecc, and I have special
> linker scripts for
> rom startup.  An yes, I know that RedBoot works as a ROM startup
> application.
>
> >You can't just take a RAM application and expect it to run from ROM.
>
> What EXACTLY do you mean by that?  I thought changing CYG_HAL_STARTUP == ROM
> rebuilding ecos, recompiling the app and running objcopy -O binary and
> binary image into FLASH and rebooting should be all I need to do.  Is there
> something
> else I'm missing?

No, that should be it.  The key is that you must rerun 'ecosconfig tree'
(or equivalent using the ConfigTool).  Just changing the 'ecos.ecc' file
is not sufficient, you must rebuild the tree.

Other than that it should work.  Certainly if you can build RedBoot for
a given platform and it runs from ROM, any other application will.