Re: eCos MIB file?

> I'm not sure I understand your answer.  The C language source
> files in the eCos source tree are generated from a specific set
> of MIB files.  Where are those files located?  On your machine
> where you packaged up the SNMP stuff or on my machine where I
> build the SNMP stuff?

Nope. The MIB compiler can be used for generating template code to
implement a MIB. You then have to fill in the real implementation for
each variable. Thinks of the MIB compiler as a GUI builder. The GUI
builder will give you the buttons, dialog boxes, scroll bars etc, you
the programmer has to fill in the code which does the functionality
behind the buttons. As with a GUI, you don't have to use the GUI
builder, you can code everything by hand. Thats what happens with the
MIBs eCos implements. The MIB compiler is there for users who want to
add there own MIBs.

> I've got a customer who wants copies of the MIB files used by
> the eCos SNMP agent, and at present I've no idea what files to
> give him.  I've got a set of 33 MIB files on my development
> machine, but I don't know if those are the ones used by eCos.

What your customer wants is the textual description of the MIB to feed
into his management station. The agent implements MibII and the 802.3
MIB. MibII is the De facto standard so all management stations should
already know about this. 802.3 is also a well known standard, also
known as the EtherLike-MIB. Maybe his station does not know this one?
In UCD its called EtherLike-MIB.txt. If all else fails, ask him for
the OIDs he is having problems with. Its then easy to find the correct
file.

My experience is that customers do not understand SNMP very well and
so ask silly questions. Its worth spending a little time educating
them, or pointing them towards a good book.

      Andrew