Re: Problem about GNU tool

    James> Hi all:
    James>    I have cross-platform development tools for ARM built.

    James> [a.out ( the app output from arm-elf-gcc)]

    James> I tried the following command:

    James> arm-elf-objcopy -O binary a.out b
    James> // got binary file b

    James> arm-elf-size b

    James> output: File format not recognized.

    James> (Is that binary file format is support by all the GNU
    James> tools? why it is all right in arm-elf-objcopoy while not in
    James> arm-elf-size?)

    James> BTW what I am trying to do is to see the section size of
    James> the final output binary file, to see whether it is ok to be
    James> put into rom (size problem).)

The binary output file no longer has any structure that could be
interpreted by the binutils tools, specifically arm-elf-size has no
way of knowing whether this is an ELF executable, an executable in
some other format, or a random collection of bytes. Effectively the
binary file is just a memory dump, so if you want to see how much rom
it will take up you can just do an "ls -l". Alternatively you can get
much the same information by running arm-elf-size on the original
a.out executable.

See the objcopy documentation for more details.

Bart