RE: i386 RedBoot serial

We experienced similar problems when we first started trying to use eCos and
tracked it down to something wrong with one of the serial ports.  Basically,
RedBoot displays its output on all COMM channels (which, in the default
configuration is 2 COM ports and the console) and switches to the first COMM
channel from which it receives a character.  We found that, for some reason,
RedBoot was receiving a 0xFF character on COM2, switching to that, and never
talking to COM1 or the console again.  We solved the problem by only
enabling one serial port (which, due to the configration options at that
time, meant COM1).

I always meant to get back to the list on this, and it just fell of the pile
of things to do :-(.  It would be a relatively simple patch modify RedBoot
to switch to the single COMM channel only when it received a "valid"
character (where "valid" needs to be suitably defined, but 0xFF would
probably be right out).

Paul will chime in here if I am misremembering or have left anything out...

--wpd