How to make certain functions run from RAM while other functions still run from ROM

Hi,

I have used eCos and GNU, and successfully built both ROM and ROMRAM
firmware
for a custom board with ARM7 chip.  I also implemented the function to
update
the firmware using Xmodem in the ROMRAM version. Since the RAM on the board
is only 128KB and the firmware is getting bigger and bigger, finally I
will choose ROM version firmware, but there is a problem: During the
firmware download process, the program will freeze, because the
function( saved in ROM) to update the firmware will be erased. So it
seems the only solution is to copy that function to RAM and run
from there during the firmware update process.

My question is: How to write/modify the linker file or code to make
certain functions run from RAM while other functions still run from ROM.
Thanks a lot.