RE: Re: linking problem when using "fopen"

Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@redhat.com> wrote:

>Robin Farine wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2002-04-02 at 00:13, jyl087@netscape.net wrote:
>> > When I use the "fopen" call in my eCos application, I have problems
>> > with linking. It seems that when "fopen_inner" calls "new Cyg_StdioStream"
>> > it drags in all kinds of C++ exception handling cruft. I've verified
>> > that fopen.cxx was compiled with "-fno_rtti -fno_exceptions", but
>> > for some reason, the "new" call drags in all the RTTI and exception
>> > handling stuff.
>> >
>> > I've verified that by commenting out the "new Cyg_StdioStream" call in
>> > "fopen_inner" in the "fopen.cxx" file, my link errors go away, but
>> > obviously fopen no longer works.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>>
>> Using the non-throwing form of operator new might work:
>>
>>         new (std::nothrow) Cyg_StdioStream(...);
>
>I'm afraid I doubt this will work.
>What C++ cruft does it pull in that causes a problem?
>Jifl

I'm using GCC 2.95.2. The libgcc.a associated with this compiler
implements "new" with exceptions. Robin is on the right track, but
the "new (std:nothrow)" form doesn't quite work, as Cyg_Stdio_Stream's
constructor doesn't match the std:nothrow form of "new".

I found the solution in the ecos-discuss archives from Ryouzaburou
Suzuki -

  http://source.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2000-11/msg00235.html

Seems like this problem has been known for a couple of years. Why hasn't
the fix been incorporated into the source tree?

/Jim