Re: x86 and flash

"davide ciminaghi@libero.it" wrote:

> - I'm now trying to add flash support: I added the 29F016D chip to the
> AM29XXXXX family (file am29xxxxx_parts.inl) and told the driver that my
> board has just one AM29f016d mapped at address 0xe00000. To do this I
> just added a .c file under
> ecos/packages/devs/flash/i386/sc300/current/src (sc300 being a platform
> under the i386 hal) containing
> the following definitions:
>
> #define CYGNUM_FLASH_INTERLEAVE (1)
> #define CYGNUM_FLASH_SERIES     (1)
> #define CYGNUM_FLASH_WIDTH      (8)
> #define CYGNUM_FLASH_BASE       (0xe00000)
> #define CYGHWR_DEVS_FLASH_AMD_AM29F016D 1
>
> I also did the changes needed in the .cdl, .db, ... files.
>
> Everything compiles, but I have some runtime problems:
>
> 1) At boot, the driver tells me that the device is unknown. If I have
> well understood, this means that the flash_query() function returns an
> unexpected id. Just for debugging purposes, I've temporarily disabled
> the startup check and now the monitor boots with no error (of course).
> Anyway, the flash chip autoselect procedure doesn't seem to work.
> 2) If I try erasing the flash chip I have a mix of timeout errors
> and "write-protected region/device" errors.
> 3) Nevertheless, when I dump the memory area corresponding to the flash
> chip I can see some meaningful ASCII strings which were probably
> written during the board's factory test. Since those strings do NOT
> come from redboot (there's a reference to the "Tornado TNT" OS) I'm
> almost sure that I'm able to read at least a part of the flash chip.

It could be the dimensions of the device maybe, but it's very difficult to
tell. I would suggest starting at the beginning and working out why the id
is wrong. There's various reasons why that could be the case, mostly
related to the dimensions (i.e. check your assumptions on what you think is
on this board). At the very least you should see what the ID it returns is!

Jifl